In our warm Southern climate, Bermuda grass is a popular choice for residences and commercial properties. When installing Bermuda sod, our team recommends Tifway, a hybrid Bermuda grass that is characterized as having a dark green color and leaves that are medium fine textured. Tifway is dense with a medium to low growth habit. This variety is a vigorous grower and thus establishes quickly at planting. Tifway is commonly used on golf course fairways and tees, sport fields, in the landscape, and other high use and visible surfaces in warm climates.
Characteristics of Bermuda grass
- Grows best in hot climates and may become dormant after frost but recovers quickly when temperatures warm
- Drought tolerant
- Provides the fast recuperative rates from traffic and wear with proper maintenance
- Exhibits dense growth, when properly maintained, competes with the presence of many turf weeds
- Demonstrates tolerance or quick recovery from pest damage with proper maintenance
- Can tolerate relatively high soil and water salt concentrations
- Grows best when soil pH is between 6.5 and 7.2.
- Propagated as sprigs (rhizomes, stolons and stems) or as sod.
- Can be installed when sod is dormant
Tifway is the standard for hybrid Bermuda grasses for more than 40 years. This medium textured, dark green selection provides good color and wear tolerance. If you are interested in sodding your home or business landscape with Bermuda grass, call or email us today, or use our quick online contact form.